Welcome to Shards of Silver

Marianne Moore once defined 'poetry' as "Imaginary gardens with real toads in them". I found this such a striking definition of something that captures the values of poetry that I couldn't leave it alone.

I've been writing - attempting - poetry since I knew how to hold a pen(cil). Some poems I write I like, most I don't, but every now and then I feel compelled to write them down, like a flush of emotion that demands access to some sort of visible medium that can later be accessed and reconsidered. I thought, maybe, that sharing these poems could help me out a little. I welcome critiques, critical and constructive (though I do, of course reserve the right to ignore the sharper sides of people's tongues ;) ), and hope that in return for your help I can leave you with something better than sorry attempts at a craft which only a tiny few have ever really mastered.

Clear Skies~V

Friday, September 11, 2009

Love

Someone’s kicked you in the stomach;
Left you winded on the pitch.
You lie there gasping caught
Between one world and the next
While in and out the stars spin overhead,
Faded recollections of velvet and cameo buttons against silk.
It doesn’t matter which way you turn:
You always turn right,
And there’s a scratched CD playing one thing in your head.
Words desert you and the sun’s gone cold,
No more summers for you, you know,
Only this: and eternal flux Between waits to see him smile

No comments:

Post a Comment