Welcome to Shards of Silver

Marianne Moore once defined 'poetry' as "Imaginary gardens with real toads in them". I found this such a striking definition of something that captures the values of poetry that I couldn't leave it alone.

I've been writing - attempting - poetry since I knew how to hold a pen(cil). Some poems I write I like, most I don't, but every now and then I feel compelled to write them down, like a flush of emotion that demands access to some sort of visible medium that can later be accessed and reconsidered. I thought, maybe, that sharing these poems could help me out a little. I welcome critiques, critical and constructive (though I do, of course reserve the right to ignore the sharper sides of people's tongues ;) ), and hope that in return for your help I can leave you with something better than sorry attempts at a craft which only a tiny few have ever really mastered.

Clear Skies~V

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Wedding Poem

i thought of broken glass
when you made my world real.
the sound of cracking shards
beneath my bare feet.
cooling molasses of time covered in dust
of a thousand frosted moments 
all forgotten when the glass cracked.
you took my hand in both of yours
drawing me through it all
past the broken window
through which i had been looking in.
you made my world real.

No comments:

Post a Comment