Welcome to Shards of Silver

Marianne Moore once defined 'poetry' as "Imaginary gardens with real toads in them". I found this such a striking definition of something that captures the values of poetry that I couldn't leave it alone.

I've been writing - attempting - poetry since I knew how to hold a pen(cil). Some poems I write I like, most I don't, but every now and then I feel compelled to write them down, like a flush of emotion that demands access to some sort of visible medium that can later be accessed and reconsidered. I thought, maybe, that sharing these poems could help me out a little. I welcome critiques, critical and constructive (though I do, of course reserve the right to ignore the sharper sides of people's tongues ;) ), and hope that in return for your help I can leave you with something better than sorry attempts at a craft which only a tiny few have ever really mastered.

Clear Skies~V

Sunday, April 25, 2010

As It Should Be

The battle lost and upon the matted earth
covered with sullen gleaming blood,
Lie the heroes we said would save us.
They raised their lances to uphold our
Sullied honour and guide us from the falling night,
Lances that now lie splintered at our feet,
And oaths equally broken thrown to the wind forgotten.
Nothing is as it should be,
Even though our enemies lie dead and riven
Beside our own gallant warrior heroes.
Nothing is as it should be,
Tough blood was meant to buy our freedom
All that's stayed to hold to hold vigil at the side of graves
Are the colder chains of regret.

2 comments:

  1. I know I have said this before, but it is quite all I can say. So- I love your poems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kirra! ^^ means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete