Welcome to Shards of Silver

Marianne Moore once defined 'poetry' as "Imaginary gardens with real toads in them". I found this such a striking definition of something that captures the values of poetry that I couldn't leave it alone.

I've been writing - attempting - poetry since I knew how to hold a pen(cil). Some poems I write I like, most I don't, but every now and then I feel compelled to write them down, like a flush of emotion that demands access to some sort of visible medium that can later be accessed and reconsidered. I thought, maybe, that sharing these poems could help me out a little. I welcome critiques, critical and constructive (though I do, of course reserve the right to ignore the sharper sides of people's tongues ;) ), and hope that in return for your help I can leave you with something better than sorry attempts at a craft which only a tiny few have ever really mastered.

Clear Skies~V

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dead Lines and Tissue Paper

              so when you said
                                     'i don't know 
                                     anymore'
what you really meant was
                                     'yes it's over now.
                                      sorry'
couldn't just have said it straight
                          out could you?
                                                     3 letters I tried to mail
                                                     2 of them I set on fire
                                                     the other I tore to scraps.                    
        had it ever occured to you
           that i thought more of it?
            that i thought more of it
                           than you did?
                                                     Part 1 says
                                                        'I miss you.'
                                                     Part 2 tells you to forget
                                                     Me and part 3 says
                                               'I wish you were here.'
                  of course you didn't
                     why should i even
                         have expected?
           cos then you'd have said
                                               'I'm sorry. I don't
                                                know if I love you
                                                anymore.
                                                I don't know what else
                                                to say.
                                                I'm sorry.'
                                                    Now I'm looking at part 4
                                                    The page is empty
                                                    And I'm stuck with the
                                                   opening line because I
                                                    don't know what to say
                                                    To make you answer your
                                                   Switched off phone.
     but you didn't say it that way
                                                    I'm running out of
                                                   murdered lines writing
                                                    'I love you
                                                    I do.'
now i'm left to choke on                and all you've left me is
                  whiskey lullabies and tissue paper  

No comments:

Post a Comment