Welcome to Shards of Silver

Marianne Moore once defined 'poetry' as "Imaginary gardens with real toads in them". I found this such a striking definition of something that captures the values of poetry that I couldn't leave it alone.

I've been writing - attempting - poetry since I knew how to hold a pen(cil). Some poems I write I like, most I don't, but every now and then I feel compelled to write them down, like a flush of emotion that demands access to some sort of visible medium that can later be accessed and reconsidered. I thought, maybe, that sharing these poems could help me out a little. I welcome critiques, critical and constructive (though I do, of course reserve the right to ignore the sharper sides of people's tongues ;) ), and hope that in return for your help I can leave you with something better than sorry attempts at a craft which only a tiny few have ever really mastered.

Clear Skies~V

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Explosive Love

So I thought I saw you today,
We may even have talked!
Conversed is too strong a word
For worded meanderings
Between empty lovers.
Having dinner and a movie
Is just to get us through the motions:
Let’s pretend, play house.
At least we can say
That Spielberg’s done it again.
‘God I wish our sex had that
Many Explosions.’
The latter sentiment left
Unspoken.
Because we’re not ready
To suggest it.

You drove me home.
The same CD as years before,
The same words.
‘…in a brave new world…’
The same words,
Both bridge and barrier
Between empty lovers.

It’s strange though the sky blue
In the middle of night
That you love
That I’m wearing.
Or that you turn
And give me that smile
That brought me
Into Chaos.

That’s no illusion.

No explosion!
There’s still something here.
We’ve just become more careful.
I know you won’t make
The first move so
I move.
You pretend to think.
I lean in and whisper in your mind.
So you chuckle and park the car.
Lead me on.
And before long we’re trying
Our own movie stunts
The kind that’d make us blush.
Like explosions.
It gives us something to talk about,
Made happy by re-igniting the hidden flame.

Us empty lovers
Full
And once more
Content.

No comments:

Post a Comment